Wigan 32 Widnes 16

  • Match report as Wigan Warriors beat Widnes Vikings in first game at the DW Stadium in over five months

  • Warriors stage second half comeback with five unanswered tries to win the game 32-16.

  • Joe Burgess, Ryan Sutton, Tommy Leuluai, Liam Farrell, Sam Tomkins and Tom Davies with Wigan’s tries.


Wigan Warriors scored six tries without reply to beat a dogged Widnes Vikings side 32-16 at the DW Stadium.

The Vikings scored the first points, taking a 0-16 lead half an hour into the game through Matt Whitley and Stefan Marsh tries with Tom Gilmore adding four goals.

Wigan fought back just before the break as Joe Burgess scored to give his side hope of a second half revival.

The Cherry and Whites comeback was on when Ryan Sutton and Tommy Leuluai went over to reduce the gap to just two points.

Three more tries then followed for the home side as Liam Farrell, Sam Tomkins and Tom Davies all scored to seal a third win of the season for the Warriors.


Shaun Wane made one change to the side that lost to Warrington last Friday. Joe Burgess came in on the left wing to replace Liam Marshall.

As for Widnes, Denis Betts made three changes to the side that beat Leeds last time out as Krisnan Inu, Chris Dean and Wellington Albert replaced by Charly Runciman, Greg Burke and Alex Gerrard.


It was Widnes who opened the scoring as Matt Whitley touched down in the 6th minute. A grubber kick placed in front of the posts by Tom Gilmore allowed Whitley to chase and get his hand over the ball. Gilmore made it 0-6 with the extras.

A further two goals from Gilmore, both for penalties, saw the Vikings edge further ahead 0-10 after just 12 minutes.

Widnes extended their lead just before the half hour mark through a Stefan Marsh try. A bursting run by Sam Wilde put the visitors on the Warriors line and they shifted it to the right side for Marsh to ease over in the corner. Gilmore made no mistake with the kick and Widnes went 0-16 ahead.

Wigan got on the scoresheet on the stroke of half time as Joe Burgess dived over. A well-worked move by the Warriors resulted in George Williams shifting a pass out wide to Burgess who crossed over in the corner. Sam Tomkins missed the kick and the Cherry and Whites trailed 4-16 at the break.

HALF TIME: Wigan Warriors 4–16 Widnes Vikings


Wigan closed the gap to just six points early in the second half as Ryan Sutton crashed over. The prop took the ball on the angle and powered his way past three Widnes men to touch down over the whitewash. Morgan Escaré took over kicking duties and made it 10-16 with the two points.

On the hour mark, the Warriors were in again through Tommy Leuluai. The hooker picked the ball up from Tony Clubb’s charging run and showed the dummy to dart over. Tomkins resumed to the kicking but his attempt went wide of the post with the score staying at 14-16 in favour of the away side.

However, Wigan took the lead three minutes later as Liam Farrell eased over the line. The second rower latched onto a short pass to go through the gap and run towards the try line to score in front of the sticks. Tomkins converted comfortably and the Warriors took a 20-16 lead.

The win was sealed with just six minutes remaining as Sam Tomkins scored a 70-metre try. The fullback collected the ball from his position and raced away to go over the line. Tomkins converted his own try and Wigan went 26-16 in front.

Tom Davies put the cherry on top for the home side right at the end. A short pass by John Bateman on the right side found Davies who ran towards the try line to dive over in the corner. Tomkins added the extras and Wigan were 32-16 victors.

FULL TIME: Wigan Warriors 32–16 Widnes Vikings

Match Details

Wigan Warriors - 32

Tries: Burgess, Sutton, Leuluai, Farrell, S.Tomkins, Davies

Goals: S.Tomkins 3/5 Escare 1/1

Widnes Vikings - 16

Tries: Whitley, Marsh

Goals: Gilmore 4/4

HT: 4-16

Wigan Warriors: 1. Sam Tomkins, 2. Tom Davies, 14. John Bateman, 4. Oliver Gildart, 5. Joe Burgess, 6. George Williams, 7. Sam Powell, 8. Tony Clubb, 9. Tommy Leuluai, 10. Ben Flower, 11. Joel Tomkins, 12. Liam Farrell, 13. Sean O’Loughlin

Interchange: 15. Ryan Sutton, 17. Taulima Tautai, 19. Willie Isa, 20. Morgan Escare

Widnes Vikings: 1. Rhys Hanbury, 24. Ed Chamberlain, 15. Danny Craven, 4. Charly Runciman, 2. Stefan Marsh, 6. Joe Mellor, 7. Tom Gilmore, 19. Greg Burke, 33. Aaron Heremaia, 10. Alex Gerrard, 17. Sam Wilde, 12. Matt Whitley, 16. Tom Olbison.

Interchange: 23. Danny Walker, 26. Ted Chapelhow, 13. Hep Cahill, 20. Macgraff Leuluai

Referee: Robert Hicks

Official Partners