Wigan 48 Huddersfield 10

  • Match report as Wigan Warriors beat Huddersfield Giants 48-10

  • Wigan run in nine tries as Sam Tomkins reaches 750 points for the club on his 29th birthday

  • Braces from Tom Davies and Joe Burgess as well as tries from Oliver Gildart, John Bateman, George Williams, Ryan Sutton and Willie Isa seal victory


Wigan dominated throughout as they ran in nine tries to beat Huddersfield 48-10 at the DW Stadium.

The Warriors were in control early on and opened the scoring through Tom Davies before a strong Huddersfield stint after a Jermaine McGillvary intercept try. The remainder of the half was one-way traffic for Wigan however when Davies grabbed his second. Oliver Gildart, Joe Burgess and John Bateman also added tries to cap off a superb opening half for Wigan.

It was a calm and collected Wigan performance in the second half as they held their position against a Huddersfield side who were low on confidence after a tough first half. George Williams was able to utilise his footwork to score before Ryan Sutton did the same from close range before Willie Isa followed suit. There was still time for a Huddersfield consolation when Ryan Hinchcliffe made his way over as well as a second for Burgess.


Shaun Wane made just one change to the team that defeated Wakefield two weeks ago as Joel Tomkins returned from the bench with Romain Navarrete dropping out. Tony Clubb started on his 250th career appearance.

Huddersfield saw Oliver Roberts miss out with Michael Lawrence returning to the second row with Sebastine Ikahihifo also missing, replaced by Paul Clough with Daniel Smith and Adam Walne on the bench as Tyler Dickinson dropped off the bench. Kruise Leeming started at hooker.


Wigan wasted no time as they scored from their first attack. A fast passing move culminated in a Sam Tomkins cut-out ball to Davies who used his strength to make it over in the corner. Tomkins hit the conversion true to make the score 6-0 after only three minutes.

The Warriors continued to attack but Huddersfield launched a counter of their own as another attempted cut-out ball from Tomkin was smartly intercepted by McGillvary who ran 40 metres to hit back, firmly against the run of play. Wigan remained in front after Danny Brough’s miss, 6-4 after eight minutes of play.

After resisting some Huddersfield pressure, Wigan applied it at the other end and after two consecutive drop-outs they broke through. A measured chip over the defence from Sam Powell saw Davies get his second of the night. Tomkins converted again as Wigan led 12-4 with another 20 minutes of the half to go.

The Warriors soon scored again on the back of a penalty, Sean O’Loughlin spread the ball left quickly and it went through the hands to find Gildart who was too much to stop close to the line. Tomkins couldn’t convert this one with Wigan leading 16-4 after 25 minutes.

The momentum was firmly with the Cherry and Whites as the half progressed and they utilised the left-edge again when Burgess was found in space along the touchline after a simple Williams cut-out ball to score. Tomkins converted well to extend the lead to 22-4 with another eight minutes until half time.

Wigan appeared to be unstoppable on the opponent’s line as they continued to press. After Sam Tomkins grubbered to himself, only to be taken off the ball, Bateman picked up the pieces and squeezed over. Tomkins was reliable from the boot again and took gave Wigan a four-try lead at the break.

HALF TIME: Wigan Warriors 28–4 Huddersfield Giants


Huddersfield’s cause wasn’t helped early on in the second half as they lost Jermaine McGillvary to a leg injury. Wigan opened the scoring for the half when Williams eluded the Huddersfield defence to dance to the line. Tomkins had an easy conversion to give Wigan a 34-4 lead with 27 minutes still remaining.

Wigan were cruising at this point with Huddersfield tiring more. Thomas Leuluai stepped out of dummy half before turning back inside to find Sutton who twisted underneath the posts to find the in-goal. Morgan Escaré converted following the substitution of Sam Tomkins. Wigan had a 40-4 lead with 17 minutes still on the clock.

The game wasn’t getting any easier for the Giants when Willie Isa found his way over. Another short ball from dummy half by Leuluai found Isa who had an easy job to ground the ball. Escaré missed the conversion, Wigan now 44-4 ahead with another ten minutes of the game to play.

Huddersfield were still able to grab a consolation despite a disappointing second half. Brough’s kick ricocheted off of Ben Flower before falling into the arms of Ryan Hinchcliffe who made his way to the line. Brough converted to reduce the deficit to 44-10 with only six minutes remaining.

The Warriors had the last say of the night when Burgess scored his second. The ball came to him on the touchline before cutting back inside to get underneath the Huddersfield defenders to complete the scoring.

FULL TIME: Wigan Warriors 48–10 Huddersfield Giants


Wigan Warriors - 48

Tries: Davies (2), Gildart, Burgess (2), Bateman, Williams, Sutton, Isa.

Goals: S Tomkins 5/6, Escaré 1/3

Huddersfield Giants- 10

Tries: McGillvary, Hinchcliffe.

Goals: Brough (1/2)

HT: 28-4

Wigan Warriors- 1. Sam Tomkins, 2. Tom Davies, 14. John Bateman, 4. Oliver Gildart, 5. Joe Burgess, 6. George Williams, 7. Sam Powell, 8. Tony Clubb, 9. Tommy Leuluai, 10. Ben Flower, 19. Willie Isa, 12. Liam Farrell, 13. Sean O’Loughlin.

Interchange: 11. Joel Tomkins, 15. Ryan Sutton, 17. Taulima Tautai, 20. Morgan Escare.

Huddersfield Giants- 15. Jordan Rankin, 2. Jermaine McGillvary, 4. Jordan Turner, 26. Sam Wood, 5. Aaron Murphy, 6. Lee Gaskell, 7. Danny Brough, 17. Ukuma Ta’ai, 9. Kruise Leeming, 18. Paul Clough, 12. Michael Lawrence, 14. Dale Ferguson, 13. Ryan Hinchcliffe.

Interchange: 19. Daniel Smith, 20. Adam Walne, 21. Adam O’Brien, 22. Alex Mellor.

Attendance: 10,641

Official Partners