Wigan 44–6 Hull KR

  • Match report as Wigan Warriors comfortable see off Hull Kingston Rovers on Easter Monday

  • Five tries in 15 first half minutes put the Warriors on the way to victory before three Marshall tries in the second half

  • Four tries from Marshall and two for Farrell as well as tries for Tomkins and Williams seal victory


Four-try hero Liam Marshall helped Wigan get back to winning ways in style at the DW Stadium on Easter Monday.

Despite a slow start that saw 25 minutes pass before the first try, the half had eventually proved quite simple for Wigan. Establishing territorial dominance early on, the Warrior built on that later in the half to score five tries in 15 minutes. Sam Tomkins opened the scoring from dummy-half before Liam Farrell grabbed his first. George Williams, who had been instrumental, ran in a try of his own. Liam Marshall was next on the list when he was on the end of a grubber. Farrell’s second before the break completed a good half.

The second half was a little messier as rain fell throughout. Hull KR opened the scoring when Atkin collected his own kick to score. From then on it was one way traffic for the Warriors. Marshall got a second from a Tomkins grubber before completing his hat-trick acrobatically.

Gabe Hamlin, signed from South Sydney Rabbitohs during the close-season, impressed from the bench on debut. Youngster Josh Ganson also looked lively with Josh Woods assured too.

Marshall added his fourth when he chased down a Williams kick. Tomkins sealed the win with a penalty goal.


Shaun Wane made numerous changes as Sam Tomkins returned at full back after his virus for Morgan Escaré. Dan Sarginson also returned with John Bateman moving to loose forward. Liam Marshall, Josh Woods and Romain Navarette all started with Gabe Hamlin on the bench on his debut. Sam Powell missed the game through illness.

Hull KR made only one change to their starting line-up after Friday’s defeat in the Hull derby with Ben Kavanagh dropping out to be replaced by Chris Clarkson at loose forward with Josh Johnson onto the bench for Tim Sheens’ side.


Consistent sets in the Rovers half saw Wigan grind the away side down after a tight opening quarter. Rovers’ failed short drop-out gave Wigan a great chance to take the lead. Thomas Leuluai was held up after a dummy half run before Tomkins elected to go for the same option and was able to break through the markers to score. Tomkins converted the try himself to hand Wigan a 6-0 lead after 25 minutes.

The first try was just reward for Wigan and they soon had a second and it was only a few minutes later before the second try came. Williams had taken the ball to the line, showing it to the Hull KR defenders before his short pass saw Liam Farrell burst into free space to score near the corner. Tomkins converted smartly for a 12-0 Wigan lead with half an hour played.

Wigan’s third came straight away. Another try orchestrated by Williams, who found Marshall in space along the touchline, before supporting his winger who found Williams in acres of space to score comfortably. The conversion was unsuccessful this time for Tomkins with Wigan’s growing lead at 16-0 with another seven first half minutes to go.

A third try in five minutes extended the Wigan lead further. Marshall, provider for Williams for the last try, was on the end for this one. Tomkins’ swift grubber towards the line had him chasing alongside Oliver Gildart and Marshall before Marshall assumed responsibility and put down in the corner. Tomkins couldn’t convert with the score at 20-0 and three minutes still remaining in the half.

Wigan’s continued to dominate and scored once more on the stroke of half-time through Farrell. Williams was again provider when his grubber close to the line found Farrell in the in-goal. Tomkins was back on form with the boot to grant Wigan a 26-0 half time lead.

HALF TIME: Wigan Warriors 26-0 Hull Kingston Rovers


The second half couldn’t have started any differently than the first ended as Hull KR opened the scoring for the half. Pressuring the defensive line, Atkin spotted a gap and smartly grubbered to the line, regathering in front of Tom Davies to reduce the lead to 26-6 after Ryan Shaw’s conversion. Six minutes of the half played.

Wigan responded, however, when Marshall scored his second of the game. Just like his first, it was a Sam Tomkins grubber, this time much closer to the line, that found the in-goal and Marshall ahead of the defenders. Tomkins nailed the tough kick with the lead back to 26 points at 32-6 with half an hour to go.

The Cherry and Whites’ sustained pressure on Hull KR saw only the final ball missing in the slippery second half conditions. Rovers had struggled to maintain the defence and had Josh Johnson sent to the sin bin following a team warning.

The Warriors made the extra man count with immediacy. Marshall was in for his hat-trick when quick passing following the penalty saw Marshall on the wing with just enough space to score spectacularly. Tomkins was just wide with the conversion, Wigana 36-6 lead, 13 minutes before full time.

Marshall was far from finished after his hat-trick when he grabbed a fourth. A long kick to the in-goal from Williams had Rovers scrambling to get back when Marshall came steaming through at full speed to ease past Shaw to win the race to the ball. Tomkins hit this one just right with a 42-6 lead for the Warriors, with another eight minutes on the clock.

There was late drama as the final whistle sounded. Wigan were chasing a final try when they earned a penalty for a tackle off the ball. They opted for the two points and Sam Tomkins did the honours, Wigan worthy winners.

FULL TIME: Wigan Warriors 44–6 Hull Kingston Rovers


Wigan Warriors - 44

Tries: S Tomkins, Farrell (2), Williams, Marshall (4)

Goals: S Tomkins 6/9

Hull Kingston Rovers - 6

Tries: Atkin

Goals: Shaw 1/1

HT: 26-0

Wigan Warriors: 1. Sam Tomkins, 2. Tom Davies, 3. Dan Sarginson, 4. Oliver Gildart, 22. Liam Marshall, 6. George Williams, 34. Josh Woods, 10. Ben Flower, 9. Tommy Leuluai, 25. Romain Navarrete, 19. Willie Isa, 12. Liam Farrell, 14. John Bateman

Interchange: 11. Joel Tomkins, 15. Ryan Sutton, 23. Josh Ganson, 30. Gabe Hamlin

Hull Kingston Rovers: 1. Adam Quinlan, 5. Ryan Shaw, 3. Thomas Minns, 22. Liam Salter, 36. Justin Carney, 24. Chris Atkin, 20. Matty Marsh, 14. Lee Jewitt, 19. Tommy Lee, 10. Mose Masoe, 11. Maurice Blair, 12. James Greenwood, 17. Chris Clarkson

Interchange: 8. Nick Scruton, 15. James Donaldson, 23. Josh Johnson, 28. Will Dagger

Referee: Ben Thaler

Attendance: 10,977

Official Partners