The English will be facing a challenge from France, Samoa and Tonga in international Rugby League’s newest tournament and it will be their first competition under the management of new head coach Paul Cullen from Warrington Wolves.
Graeme Thompson, the RFL’s Performance Director, said: “Selection for the England squad represents a major step along the international career performance pathway for these players.
“The Federation Shield will provide the players with a competitive environment in which they can experience a higher grade of international Rugby League.
“Their inclusion is recognition that not only are they important as far as England are concerned for the Federation Shield but also in respect of further international honours, including the 2008 World Cup”.
In addition to the 20-man train-on squad, England will be bolstered by the arrival of players from the present Great Britain training squad and a England squad for the Federation Shield tournament will be selected following the engage Super League Grand Final on Saturday, October 14.
The 20-man England training squad is:
- Chris Ashton, Wigan Warriors
- Ryan Atkins, Wakefield Wildcats
- Ryan Bailey, Leeds Rhinos
- Chris Bridge, Warrington Wolves
- Kevin Brown, Huddersfield Giants
- Andy Coley, Salford City Reds
- Eorl Crabtree, Huddersfield Giants
- Ewan Dowes, Hull FC
- Brett Ferres, Bradford Bulls
- Mark Gleeson, Warrington Wolves
- Wayne Godwin, Wigan Warriors
- Jamie Jones-Buchanan, Leeds Rhinos
- Rob Purdham, Harlequins RL
- Lee Radford, Hull FC
- Luke Robinson, Salford City Reds
- Jamie Rooney, Wakefield Wildcats
- Nick Scruton, Leeds Rhinos
- Lee Smith, Leeds Rhinos
- Ben Westwood, Warrington Wolves
- Danny Williams, Leeds Rhinos