Wigan 30 Wakefield 18

Wigan 30 Wakefield 18

  • Match report as Wigan Warriors beat Wakefield Trinity at the DW Stadium on Mother’s Day

  • Joe Burgess scored a hat-trick as the Warriors win 30-18

  • Taulima Tautai and Tom Davies with Wigan’s other tries


Another strong second half performance from the Warriors held them see-off Wakefield Trinity 30-18 on Mother’s Day at the DW Stadium.

The visitors took an early lead as Ben Jones-Bishop crossed over, however, tries from Joe Burgess and Taulima Tautai after the half hour mark put the Warriors in front.

Jones-Bishop put his side ahead at the break after he scored a second but Wigan came out in the second half with three tries within 16 minutes through Burgess (2) and Tom Davies.

A late Tinirau Arona try for Trinity did not worry the Warriors as Sam Tomkins rounded the game off with a penalty goal to make it 30-18.


For Wigan, Romain Navarrete made his first appearance of the season as he replaced the injured Joel Tomkins. Willie Isa came into the starting 13 with the Frenchman on the bench.

Wakefield made four changes to the side that beat Huddersfield last time out as Joe Arundel, Mason Caton-Brown, Ryan Hampshire and Pauli Pauli all dropped out. Reece Lyne, Tom Johnstone, Tyler Randell and Justin Horo all came in.


Wakefield took the lead just three minutes in as Ben Jones-Bishop crossed over in the corner. Trinity got the ball out on the right side and Reece Lyne found Jones-Bishop who spotted a gap and dived over the line. Liam Finn missed the kick but the visitors went 0-4 in front.

Finn made it 0-6 a few minutes later as he converted a penalty goal deep inside the Wigan half.

Wigan responded just after the 20-minute mark as Joe Burgess touched down in the corner. A clever move started by hooker Tommy Leuluai allowed Liam Farrell to open up a gap and find Burgess who eased over on the left edge. Sam Tomkins could not convert but the Warriors were on the scoreboard at 4-6.

Nine minutes before half time Wigan took the lead as Taulima Tautai scored from close range. Tomkins picked the ball up from dummy half and found Tautai who powered over the whitewash on his 100th Warriors appearance. Morgan Escaré took over kicking duties and made it 10-6 with the two points in front of the sticks.

The away side reacted to going behind just four minutes later as Jones-Bishop got his second try. A carbon copy of the first try saw Lyne find Jones-Bishop who sneaked over in the corner. Finn added the extras and Trinity went back in front at 10-12.

HALF TIME: Wigan Warriors 10–12 Wakefield Trinity


Wigan put pressure on the Wakefield line early on in the second half and it paid off when Burgess got his second of the game. A swift move on the left side resulted in George Williams finding Tomkins who assisted Burgess out wide with a quick-fire pass to dart over the line. Tomkins converted the kick to put his side 16-12 ahead.

The Cherry and Whites increased their lead 11 minutes later as Tom Davies dived over in the corner. Wigan shifted the ball onto the right side and Tomkins was able to find Davies who managed to beat Tom Johnstone and touch down. Tomkins made no mistake with the kick and the Warriors led by 10 points.

Burgess got his hat-trick and gave Wigan a comfortably advantage with just under 20 minutes remaining. The winger had a lot to do when Tomkins found him on the left side but Burgess took on the Wakefield line and beat three defenders to power over. Tomkins converted the kick and the Warriors went 28-12 in front.

Trinity set up an interesting climax to the game as Tinirau Arona scored from close range. Craig Huby found a gap in the Warriors defence and offloaded to Arona who crossed over the line with ease. Finn quickly added the two points to make it 28-18.

Wigan were never really in trouble as they worked the clock down well and completed their sets to edge towards full time. Tomkins’ late penalty completed the scoring, the Warriors 30-18 victors and up to second in the table.

FULL TIME: Wigan Warriors 30–18 Wakefield Trinity

Match Details

Wigan Warriors – 30

Tries: Burgess (3), Tautai, Davies

Goals: Tomkins 4/5 Escare 1/1

Wakefield Trinity– 18

Tries: Jones-Bishop (2), Arona

Goals: Finn 3/4

HT: 10-12

Attendance: 11,455

Wigan Warriors: 1. Sam Tomkins, 2. Tom Davies, 14. John Bateman, 4. Oliver Gildart, 5. Joe Burgess, 6. George Williams, 7. Sam Powell, 8. Tony Clubb, 9. Tommy Leuluai, 10. Ben Flower, 19. Willie Isa, 12. Liam Farrell, 13. Sean O’Loughlin

Interchange: 15. Ryan Sutton, 17. Taulima Tautai, 20. Morgan Escare, 25. Romain Navarrete

Wakefield Trinity: 1. Scott Grix, 5. Ben Jones-Bishop, 4. Reece Lyne, 3. Bill Tupou, 2. Tom Johnstone, 6. Jacob Miller, 7. Liam Finn, 10. Anthony England, 9. Kyle Wood, 8. David Fifita, 11. Matty Ashurst, 12. Danny Kirmond, 16. Tinirau Arona

Interchange: 17. Craig Huby, 13. Tyler Randell, 14. Justin Horo, 20. Keegan Hirst.

Referee – Chris Kendall

Recent News & Media

Dream come true for Davies
Bateman: It's such a great feeling
2018 Grand Final in pictures
“Fairytales come true” - Tomkins

Official Partners